Friday, October 3, 2014

Letter Project Reflection

In my letter art project, I chose the letter "S" because my last name, Sularno, starts with the letter S and I felt like my surname is really meaningful to me because my dad side of the family including my extended family have similar surnames for example, my cousin's family has the surname of Suharno and my other cousin's name is Sunarno. And so I decided to incorporate family and memories and so I thought I hard while I was brainstorming.

Finally, I decided to choose my childhood memories to base off my art project. After brainstorming thumbnail sketches, I choose two of my favorite designs. One of my favorites was where I decided to draw a playground theme. And the other design I chose was a design based on the theme of school and hardworking. However, during the process of drawing our rough drafts I chose the playground theme because I felt it was much easier and more fun to draw with all the colors.

Within that playground theme I choose the most important essentials for a playground, for example, slides, monkey bars, and swings. Before I drew the playground essentials, I drew grass around the "S" on both sides and I decided to color it with different shades of green and drew a line of the "S" with dark brown color pencil. (All of the materials I used is color pencils and pencil for my first draft) After I drew all the grasses I drew all the playground essentials with a variety of colors to make it pop and be really child-like.  

I felt that this process was really helpful especially when I had to brainstorm different themes and ideas that deal with "S". I also like how at first it was really hard to decide which design to choose. So Ms. Lee solved that by choosing two ideas and drawing them bigger. And that was how I chose which design to finalize.


Which looks like this: (This draft was first drawn by pencil then colored by color pencils)



One of the struggles I had during this process was having to draw the different playground essentials as well as deciding the colors to choose for it. This is because there was a lot of parts to it, for example, the  slide had the rooftop, the bars, the stairs, and the actual slide itself. Also when looking at all the examples of slides from google it was hard to agree to which colors or designs to use therefore, I just went to my childhood and imagine the playground there.

I am actually very satisfied with my project however, one thing I would change is making the "S" larger and the park essentials also larger to make it pop more. Also when making my park essentials bigger I would make the children I placed in the playground bigger with a lot more details.



This is my final draft: 





13 comments:

  1. I really like the concept. Playgrounds hold a special place in my heart and your s really captures the feelings I had as a little kid in the school playground.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea for your project and I like the swings on top of the project, because we all know the swings are the best part of the playground.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you used soft coloring materials to make childhood a more soft and happy feeling instead using marker or sharpie that has a more bold feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your concept of playground because it remind me of childhood where I get to play in the park and playground with my friend and cousins. I am wondering is there any changes between you initial draft and final draft? In addition, why did you choose the concept? I recommend you to use different material, maybe try pencil watercolor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel like you definitely achieved the "child like" aspect on your piece. I really like the idea of the tire swing hanging off the S because it seems someone could walk down the S and reach the tire swing and swing on it. I feel like it is extra meaningful that this connects to your past. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a cool concept! I love how you incorporated all the main components of a playground! I also really like the little kids you drew on the swings and slide.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely gives off the childhood feeling of playing in the yard until dawn. Instead of going with the playground concept would you have went with a more mature concept? If so how will you counter that?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is really fun and I like how light and playful everything is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the finished version! The color really convey theme !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks so nice! If you were to add a background color/picture, what would it be of and why?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your design and concept is really fun! It reminds me of childhood and having to choose which place I wanted to go to.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your design and Concept is very eye catching. It is very enjoyable to look at because the swings remind me of childhood. I also like the grass all around the edges. It reminds me of a park

    ReplyDelete