Wednesday, April 29, 2015

An Experience of Micro Aggression

Everyone had at least experienced a micro aggression moment in their life. According to Google, "Microaggressions are the everyday verbal, nonverbal, and environmental slights, snubs, or insults, whether intentional or unintentional, which communicate hostile, derogatory, or negative messages to target persons based solely upon their marginalized group" 

There were many micro aggression experiences I had in both middle school and high school and probably I would have a few in college too and I wouldn't be surprised or shocked because I've got used to it. 

There was one moment in middle school where my class were all playing a type of soccer game and when it was my turn to go I was being my usual self playing soccer and kicking the ball and one of the students shouted, "Let's go Pocahontas!" and I felt a bit offended. But I knew it was a joke but I took it a bit to an offense. 

Also there are many experience where people asked where I'm from and before I would answer they would automatically assume, Indian. But when I said Indonesian they were like what is that? When I explained they would be surprised. And so yeah I would have a small feeling that it would happen in college. 

No comments:

Post a Comment